Study Success at Sussex goes mobile!
The Study Sussex at Sussex (S3) website for the University of Sussex was a very successful project we completed in 2009. This year to keep up with changes in the devices used by many students to interact with the Internet, we have worked with the team at Sussex to develop a mobile version of this website. Key aspects of this new mobile site are:
- The mobile version utilises the jQuery Mobile framework to provide the core aspects of the user interface with customised elements such as the menu bar and navigation menus added.
- A PHP script is used to identify the website viewer’s device and automatically direct them to the appropriate version of the site.
- The site content for both the normal and mobile sites is drawn from a bespoke content management system to allow content editing to be carried out in one place and immediately be displayed on both versions of the site.
- The mobile version of the site offers all the content and as rich an experience as the normal site rather than a limited version of the normal site.
- Site interactions (e.g. tabs, accordions, hide / reveal elements, quizzes etc) have been redeveloped to suit the inaccuracy of a touch screen and limited display sizes.
- Video is embedded in the site pages using YouTube to enable the site to deliver video on the maximum number of device types.
- Mobile site accessibility is enhanced through hide and reveal transcripts for videos and podcasts.
- Site search is provided by a Google custom search facility styled to match the design of the mobile site.
- Users can opt to view either the normal or mobile sites whatever device they are using.